About four years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kevin Bentley. Kevin was in the NFL for 10 years. Kevin came into my classrooms for the day and spoke to the students about several subjects. It’s funny because looking back, most of the students wanted to know about the NFL, the different players he interacted with and played against, and basically anything about the sport. I remembered something else Kevin talked about in his speech...life. As he eloquently spoke about his upbringing, his trials and tribulations and counting the times he sought opportunity, I wrote the following items down. I knew there was more to Kevin than just a man who played linebacker and tackled people in the NFL.
Here are the 16 nuggets of genius he said…
- "I didn't play 10 years in the NFL because I was the best, I played 10 years because I was willing to learn and grow."
- "Set the bar high for yourself."
- "You can always get better. You can always grow."
- "If you tell me I can't do something, I am going to prove you wrong."
- "Believe in the growth mindset."
- "If you want to be heard, you have to speak."
- "Hard work ethic is my brand."
- "Don't ever put yourself in a box because of yours or anyone else's perception of who you should be."
- "The best way to learn is to be able to teach somebody else."
- "Develop a work ethic that makes you so valuable, people can't get rid of you!"
- "If you allow them to not allow you to think, you are doing yourself a great disservice."
- "Slow nickels add up." - Mr. Bentley's NFL Motto.
- "I'm not going to give anybody a reason to take away my opportunities."
- "It's all about choices and decisions and making a plan for your success."
- "Asking for help is a sign of strength, not a weakness."
- "Great leaders allow people to make mistakes. They give others the opportunity to learn."
Thank you Kevin for sharing your legacy of being a winner in life. Comment below which quote of Kevin's is your favorite.